Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Q is for Quiche

With family and friends soon gathering for Thanksgiving, what better time to introduce you to my favorite (and easiest!) breakfast casserole. Thanks to a great friend for introducing me to this many years ago.

The title of this post has a story. I know, shocking...me, tell a story.

In Kindergarten, my fantastic, nurturing, sweet-as-pie teacher, Mrs. Klein, had us try a different food for each letter of the alphabet. Each day, we'd learn about a new letter, then try a food to go along with it at lunch. I was into this. I thought it was awesome. Letters! Food! Fun! ...until we got to "Q." Mrs. Klein, or Mother Klein, as we have always so lovingly called her, introduced quiche to us on Q's day to shine. This girl, the one typing this post, was having no part of that quiche. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Ain't Gonna Happen.

Now, I was a pretty cute kid. I got away with a lot by just batting my eyes and smiling real pretty. Well, that sweet-as-pie teacher would not let me leave the lunchroom table until I tried that darn quiche. I distinctly remember being five and left at our class' lunchroom table until I tried the quiche. Lucky for me, the lunch lady let me leave when she came to the realization that it just wasn't in the cards. Bless that sweet lunch lady. I'd probably still be at that table 21 years later.

15-ish years went by and I still had never once tried quiche. Talk about #scarredforlife. We had a potluck breakfast at work one day and I noticed this quiche-type casserole on the table. Immediate flashbacks. Somehow, I was talked into tasting this particular quiche. Life. Changing. Cheesy, flaky, deliciousness.

Make this for your family this holiday season and watch them swoon.

Start with a tube of crescent rolls and a greased baking pan. Ninexthirteen should do perfectly.

Do not. I repeat do not separate the crescent roll pieces, just lay the whole tube of rolls on the bottom of the baking pan. Press and seal the little creases throughout to make it one hole-less piece. I didn't have any crescent rolls on hand, so I used a tube of biscuits instead.
 
 
Next, crack six eggs into a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of milk, along with a dash of salt and pepper.
Whisk away!
 
After you've finished, cut up some ham. It can be fresh, lunchmeat, whatever you have or whatever tickles your fancy. Dice it into small-ish pieces and dump on top of the dough in your pan.
 
Now, pour your egg/milk mixture on top! Start grating some cheese-cheddar and mozzarella are my personal faves for this. Sprinkle this evenly on your eggs. I kinda eyeball this. Whatever looks good to you! You a fan of cheese (who am I kidding, who isn't a fan of cheese?), add more! Add less if you're one of the four people on earth who don't like cheese.
 
 
Throw this in a 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until eggs have set.
 
 
Once you take it out, let it sit for a minute or two. Try not to drool looking at it.
 
Cut this little slice of heaven into squares and get to eating!
 
It's that easy. Your family will love seeing this on the breakfast table!
 
-L
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment