Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Burlap Bonanza

My initial thought when I see personalized crafts for sale is always, "I wonder if I can do that myself." It normally takes me an inordinate amount of time to complete the crafts, but I almost always will give it a go.

My mom's birthday was last month and a few days before her birthday she sent me a picture of a framed monogram done on burlap with the caption, "I love this!!!!!" The first thing I noticed was that she actually spelled all the words correctly. My mother composing a text almost always gives way to misspelled words. I fancy myself bilingual solely because I can interpret texts from my mom. I love her to pieces and giggle myself silly when she sends them sometimes, but I speak the truth.

Anyways, I looked at the picture she sent, researched printing on burlap, and decided I could give this little project an attempt. My cast of characters for this project included: burlap, spray adhesive, white computer paper, spray adhesive, scissors, a ruler, and a picture frame.
 
I used the ruler and scissors to measure an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of burlap. Then, I just plain ol' cut it out :)
 
 
Because you're adhering the burlap to the construction paper, it's important to get the burlap as close to 8 1/2" x 11" as possible.
 
Once you've got that done, spray your sheet of computer paper with the spray adhesive. Since it's not going to stay stuck to the paper, let the spray adhesive dry for about 3 minutes before attempting to adhere the burlap to it. While you're waiting, make up your monogram!
 
 
Again, the font addiction ran it's course and it took For.Ever. to choose what to use :)
 
Once it's done, attach the burlap to the paper that was sprayed. This will go right through your printer! Feed your burlap paper into the printer and send your snazzy document to the printer. Then, watch it work its magic.
 
Once it's out, throw it in your frame and you, my friend, have a beautiful homemade gift!
 
 
My momma loved this little nugget. She raved and raved. And I felt like a million bucks because I made it myself :)
 
-L
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment