Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

One Man's Trash

Our wedding photographer took the most amazing pictures at our wedding. I have over 2,000 pictures capturing our day together and I love them all. But my favorite picture taken was actually captured by my dad's brother, David. It's one of those once-in-a-lifetime type pictures. It makes me smile, laugh, and even tear up a little bit. It's just the sweetest thing. Peeps, feast your eyes on my favorite picture...

 
I should probably tell you that before the ceremony, Gianna, my sweet love muffin of a cousin and flower girl, specifically told me she "wasn't going to watch any of the funny stuff." "Funny stuff" apparently translates to the whole "You may now kiss the bride" business. Her older brother, Roman (who I'm equally obsessed with), took a page out of her book and covered those eyes as tight as can be. Finally, let your eyes wander to sweet Cameron, Derek's cousin and a flower girl as well, who is completely fixated with the moment. You literally cannot make this stuff up. I had to have this picture in our house somewhere.
 
I must now switch gears a bit. I promise the picture makes a cameo later on. I asked D recently if he ever thought of me while he was at work. I thought the whole, "Out of sight, out of mind" thing may come in to play here and was honestly curious what he would say in response to this question. His reply-"On garbage day I do." Garbage day?! The two days a week large trucks overtake our neighborhood and get rid of our trash?! Not what I was expecting. Soon after though, he came home with this little beauty. Which, you guessed it, he saw on the side of the road in someone's garbage.
 
I love this little table! I immediately thought of the perfect place to set her up at the end of our hallway. But first, she needed a little love.
 
I hope it's not weird that I immediately assumed the table was a "she."
 
I started by wiping her down really well with an old towel. It did come from someone's trash, ya know.
 
Then, I got to sanding! We have this snazzy handheld-thing-a-muh-whoo-zit that I placed the sandpaper in. It worked really well for someone like myself who is not well-versed in the world of sanding.
 
 
Yikes. Pretty ugly after sanding.
 
 
 
Then, I spray painted her black. I did multiple coats to make sure it actually was not only covered, but also really black.
 
 
This was after one coat and you can kind of tell it was definitely NOT enough. I think I did three coats in total.
 
Then, I set this fab free little love at the end of the hallway with an awesome colorful vase and yes, you guessed it-my favorite wedding picture! It looks so great under the big mirror and I smile every time I walk by it. I'm so happy with how it turned out!
 
 

 
 
 
 
One man's trash, right? :)
 
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment